Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Final Image: The Death of Painting


Lighting played a huge role in this project and I think that's where I learned the most in this recreation. I checked out a light kit from Kendall's equipment facilities and even though I didn't have any gels, I bounced the light off of different colored paper to achieve the effect I was going for. I was really looking to bring a warmth to the piece, so I used orange paper to reflect the light. After much playing around (and a few too many shots that made the set look like it was supporting a bad fake tan) I finally found the right balance.

This project was much more pre-production heavy than any of the other projects I've done so far and that made me realize how important time management is. Not only did I have to factor in time to build the set, but also time to find the materials needed. I didn't paint the building early enough, so while shooting I was still adding more coats of paint. Under the bright lights you could still see the Pop-Tarts logo through the light-colored paint, which then, in turn, left me with more post-production work than I had originally intended.

No comments: